I've always been someone who struggles to remember to eat breakfast. In college this was fine, because I had the luxury of a Starbucks right outside my classes, so grabbing coffee and oatmeal after my first lecture was easy. Being a working woman now, if I leave the house without breakfast and my iced coffee in hand, I'm in for a looooong morning of stomach grumbles until I can get out to grab lunch. That's why acai bowls have become my saving grace. They are healthy, super easy to make, and they leave me feeling full until lunch time! This means a less grumpy Natalie in the morning, and fewer urges to snack before lunch time. Did I mention they're DELICIOUS?!
For the acai bowl:
- 2 packets of Sambazon Original Blend Superfruit Packs, available at most grocery stores
- 1/2 a banana
- 1/8 cup of apple juice OR almond milk - use almond milk if you desire a creamier texture
- And if I'm in the mood to be extra healthy (which is rare), I also add 1 cup of spinach. Don't worry you can't even taste it.
- Blend together until smooth. It should come out slightly thicker than a smoothie so your toppings don't all sink to the bottom. Pour into a bowl.
For the toppings:
- The other 1/2 of that banana you just blended, sliced
- Handful of granola
- Shredded coconut
- Or whatever else your lil acai-lovin' heart desires (strawberries, blueberries, mango, almonds, etc.)
That's it! See, I told you it was easy.